Saturday, August 20, 2011

Back to Work

My energy is coming back and I finally feel like getting back to reality. I really want to get back to writing so I'm taking baby steps and continuing with the movie reviews for my local paper and currently I'm working on an article to submit to one of my favorite webistes for consideration in a series of articles they are commissioning. I did my outline this morning and hope to have it finished by tomorrow....keep your fingers crossed that it'll get picked! I don't really care about the money, I just like seeing my stuff in print. :)

I'm off to get this sucker knocked out but I'll leave you with my review of "The Help" which was published in yesterday's paper. The paper is a small, local one so they have us on super word restriction so we can't get as detailed as we'd always like...but that is my regular challenge and I love it! :)

"The Help" 3 out of 4 stars

Whenever a novel strikes a nerve with a large number of people, its big screen counterpart is generally met with both anticipation and trepidation. In this case, I think director Tate Taylor did a respectable job of bringing "The Help" to life while trying to stay loyal to Kathyrn Stockett's 2009 novel of the same name.

Based in the 1960s Mississippi, "The Help" is the story of black maids working for wealthy white families at a time when the Civil Rights Moment was still in its infancy, and segregation and abuse were still the norm. Some of the stories will break your heart while other stories make you laugh out loud but most importantly...they make you feel.

The truth isn't always easy, nor is it always pretty but as they say, "The truth shall set you free."

1 comment:

Princess Pessimism said...

im glad youre back into writing. how did you get into freelance? I always find that fascinating how people just submit things, and they're published....

Thats awesome. :)